About Parker Jewish Institute
Parker’s pioneering spirit and unwavering commitment to superior patient care in a warm and supportive environment have been our manifest since founding in 1907.
The Institute was established by a group of benefactors as a shelter for homeless older people. From a single room in a private house in East Harlem, the group, incorporated as the Harlem House of the Daughters of Israel in 1914, moved to a three-story brownstone at 32 East 119th Street, and then, in 1925, to an eight-story building at 1260 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Enlarged facilities enabled Parker’s forerunner to care for increasing numbers of immigrants and other New Yorkers who sought assistance.
Planning began for a facility that could implement a new concept in health care for the aged. Its orientation would be unique: rehabilitation, restoration, and return to the community. This geriatric facility would not be the “last stop” for its patients. To the contrary, it would be an inspiration to continued life. It would treat patients with physical disabilities as well as mental and behavioral disorders. And, it would conduct research and educational programs.
The Home gradually expanded its services to include health care. With the influx of refugees in the 1930s and 1940s, the Home accepted older and more infirm residents, and made provisions for more intensive care. Reflecting these trends, the Home changed its name in 1943 to the Home and Hospital of the Daughters of Israel. Like its predecessor, the Home and Hospital outgrew its facilities and mission.
The Jewish Institute for Geriatric Care opened its doors in March 1972. In 1988, the name was once again changed, this time to recognize the many contributions of the Parker family, and the facility was renamed “Parker Jewish Geriatric Institute.” Its current name was chosen in 1997 to reflect the wide range of rehabilitation services provided. Thus, we are now known as the Parker Jewish Institute for Health Care and Rehabilitation.
Recognizing that many older adults can avoid institutionalization if they have the right support services, Parker developed an extensive network of community health care programs and services, including: social adult day care, home health care, community/inpatient hospice, medical house calls, Parker Care Choices and Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands. More recently, Parker has expanded services to include on-site dialysis and medical ambulette transportation.
With your continued support, Parker is well positioned to continue its leadership in patient care, teaching and research, on the wings of compassion, excellence and innovation.